Whoa! My first class with strangers. My first group class. It went over okay. I had six people show up. That was perfect. I wasn’t overwhelmed, and there was plenty of room and the space was well utilized. I’m happy actually.
Things I did right:
- I had a sequence and presentation ready and memorized.
- I asked everyone’s name (and remembered them).
- I asked for requests. That was a little nerve-wracking. I didn’t want to deviate from my sequence too much that I lose my way.
- Let’s see, I kept us on schedule time-wise.
- Bring lots of towels – we had to use them for yoga mats.
Things I was surprised by:
- As Shelley left she said that she likes my timing – not too fast or too slow.
- There aren’t any mats available. I understood there would be mats.
- Shoulders, everyone agreed that shoulders need work – and I was able to incorporate shoulder work with seated postures right after we ended our standing postures. It flowed as if I meant to do it that way.
- Mirroring the group is pretty tricky. I feel funny switching up which way I present on the mat to mirror the group. Left means right, right means left. I’m not good with left and right to begin with. I am learning to say, “Bring your opposite foot back into your lunge.” I never had that problem before.
I’m a yoga instructor and I continue to breathe.